Wow! We were hit with sickness yet again. Monday Caleb starting coughing and my hopes of it being nothing more than that were shot by Wednesday morning when he was running a 100.6 fever. He couldn't go to daycare so he stayed with Grandma K Wednesday. Thursdays is Grandma's day to take one of the boys and luckily it was Caleb so she had him again Thursday. Grandma called me at work around 3:30 and wondered if I could get Caleb into the doctor. He was coughing/wheezing and just crying. They had no openings so I scheduled him for Friday morning.
I picked Isaac up from daycare Thursday around 5:15 and they had just gotten back from a buggy ride since it was so nice outside. Isaac was half asleep in the worker's arms and barely woke up for me to take him. She said he slept the entire time which is unusual for him. He didn't talk on the way to Grandma's and when we got there he didn't want to go see Grandma. I knew right then something was up. All he wanted was for me to hold him and to go home so I figured he was coming down with something too. I took his temp and it was 103. So Friday morning the doctor saw both boys. Isaac was a bear at the doctor. He's never been too good with doctors but this was the worst, probably because he felt so rotten. The doctor diagnosed them both with a respiratory infection. Isaac was given an antibiotic shot at the clinic and Caleb was sent home with zithromax. The boys were "ok" during the day but not themselves. Friday afternoon Isaac became very tired and all he wanted to do was sleep. I couldn't keep him awake and he was very lethargic. I took his temp around 7:00 Friday night and it shot up to 104.8. That was very scary since he was so lethargic. I called the hospital and talked to the doctor on call. I was instructed to give him a tepid bath, alternate Tylenol and Motrin every 4 hours and keep pushing fluids and if he wasn't better by Saturday morning to bring him in to test for RSV.
Isaac went to bed at 8:00 without a fuss, so then at 11:15 I woke him up and gave him some more medicine and a drink of water. He slept the rest of the night and woke up with only a 101 fever. Yesterday he managed to keep his fever below 101 and by last night he was fever free. He still needs the medicine every 4 hours though because I can tell he doesn't feel good. Poor guy.
Today I am staying home with Isaac from church but Caleb is well enough to go. I just hope by tomorrow Isaac will be on the mend and can go back to daycare. On a good note, both boys ears looked great so no infections for either of them, wohoo!!!!

1 comment:
Oh, fevers make me nervous--especially one that high! Hopefully both boys have kicked this virus by now and will be well all Spring!
Post a Comment